Susie | Mixed Mini Media Canvas Duo

Mixed media canvases are absolutely my favorite way to play!  More specifically, I love playing with mini canvases for pretty much the same reason that a lot of people like to play with tags.  It is a small, manageable format to experiment with techniques, materials, colors and textures.  Today I am going to share a pair of 4x4 ocean themed canvases that I created using the collage style Mosaic canvas from Rebecca Baer Designs.


I started by applying Whipped Spackle onto a canvas through the small size Mosaic stencil.  You can see that I used washi tape to mask off portions of the stencil that I did not want to use, choosing to emphasize the wave-like swirls.


I stamped and heat embossed the image and sentiment in the open space I left in the center of the canvas.

After the texture paste dried, I sprinkled Ultramarine Blue and Lime Green Color Burst water color powder on top of the canvas and spritzed it with water.


I used a brush to blend the colors and move them around the canvas, allowing higher concentrations of color to pool around the raised texture.  While it was still wet I added a couple drops of Metallic Saffron Liquid.  The shimmer looks amazing in real life and it really accentuates the swirls of the "ocean."


My next canvas takes us below the waves where we find a seahorse tangled in an underwater kelp bed created with the Mosaic stencil.


I created a background with Ultramarine Blue and Turquoise Color Bursts...


...before adding Whipped Spackle through the stencil.  Again, I masked off areas so that the swirls are the featured element from this stencil.


I used a paint brush to apply Lime Green Color Burst from my pallette directly onto the raised texture.


I created nautical themed embellishments with die cuts and Deco Foil...


...before dangling a charm in the corner...


... and dotting the canvas with fish stamps and irridescent rhinestone "bubbles".


I have to tell you that when I started to play with these canvases I honestly did not know where I was going to end up.  I knew what stencil and colors I wanted to use...and then I just let my imagination decide what came next! If you are interested in seeing any of my other creative endeavors, I invite you to join me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and my blog: My Time to Play. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie Materials for Ocean-themed Mini Canvas Set:
  • Rebecca Baer Designs ST-619 Mosaic Stencil, small
  • Ken Oliver Crafts: Turquoise, Ultramarine Blue and Lime Green Color Bursts/ Metallic Saffron Liquid Metals
  • Faber Castell Whipped Spackle
  • Therm O Web Adhesive Foam and Deco Foil - Spring Green, Pewter
  • Want2Scrap - 72 count Irridescent Rhinestone Bling, Silver Sea Star charm
  • Momenta Cut & Emboss Die - Nautical
  • Stamps:  Rubbermoon, Red Lead, Heidi Grace
  • Black ink, silver chain, embossing powder, twine
Back to Top