Susie | Stenciling with Watercolor Crystals

Today I would like to share a card I created using a fun technique, Rebecca Baer Design's Marrakech stencil and concentrated watercolor crystals.


I taped the small size Marrakech stencil onto watercolor paper and sprinkled it with Violet, Ultramarine Blue and Merlot Color Burst powders.  I will tell you that I learned that a tiny bit goes a long way so use it sparingly!  I spritzed the area with water and when I removed the stencil I had a beautiful design!


Holding the stencil in my hand I could see it was still very wet and covered with color.  Because I have been well trained by my art journaling friends that you never waste perfectly good color, I took the stencil and layed it on top of another piece of watercolor paper.  When I lifted it away I saw the most beautiful and delicate design had been transferred onto the paper!


I die cut a small section of the paper then stamped and heat embossed it with a butterfly.  I used more of the watercolor to add some blue to the butterfly's wing before mounting it on a textured cardstock base and adding a sentiment with my Dymo label maker!


I liked it so much that I ended up using another section of the print to create a second card in the same design.


I will tell you now that I ended up not using the original piece I created.  I had used far too much of the watercolor powder on it and as I tried to "fix" it things ended up a bit of a mess!  Don't be afraid to play around with a new product or technique every once in a while.  You never know what you will learn!  Thank goodness for serendipity because I absolutely love this *new* technique and plan to use it again and again! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie


Materials for Marrakech Butterfly Card:

  • Rebecca Baer Designs Marrakech Stencil, small
  • Ken Oliver Crafts: Violet, Ultramarine Blue, Merlot Color Bursts
  • Skipping Stones Designs - Breathtaking Butterflies stamp set
  • Wow Embossing Powder: Primary Ebony Superfine 
  • Spellbinders Nestabilities- A2 Curved Matting Basics B Card Creator
  • Dymo label maker
  • Watercolor paper, washi tape
Back to Top