Susie | Manatee & Mermaid Layout

Today I am sharing a mixed media layout I created for photos from my recent manatee encounter!  In March of this year we took a trip down to Florida to visit with the manatees in Crystal River.  We had a fabulous time and I could not wait to scrapbook the pictures!


I started with the small sized Mosaic stencil from Rebecca Baer Designs because the swirls incorporated in the design reminded me of water currents!  I centered the stencil along one edge of pastel aqua cardstock and used washi tape to hold it in place.


I applied Faber Castell Whipped Spackle through the middle of the stencil, allowing the application to fade away along the edges.  I moved the stencil to the opposite edge and repeated the process...


...and then let it dry!


I pulled out my inks and blended blues and greens over and around the stenciled area.


I spritzed a couple shades of Glimmer Mist across the layout to add a little shimmer and shine.


I placed the stencil back on top of the design at this point and used a paint brush to apply Liquid Adhesive through some of the swirls in the stencil.  After a couple of hours it had dried to a tacky finish and I applied 2 different colors of Deco Foil, burnishing with my fingertips.


I love how the foil reveals the gorgeous details from the stencil!    At this point I added my photos and the title.  The finishing touch was a sprinkling of green, turquoise and irridescent rhinestones in 3 different sizes.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie Materials for Mixed Media Manatee Layout:
  • Rebecca Baer Designs  ST-619 Mosaic stencil, small
  • Faber Castell  Whipped Spackle
  • Therm O Web iCraft Liquid Adhesive and Deco Foil - Lime, Aqua
  • Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist - Dragonfly, Trunk Bay
  • Want2Scrap 72 Count Turquoise, Light Green, Irridescent Rhinestones
  • Moxxie Alpha Stickers, black
  • Inks, cardstock, tag
Back to Top