Susie | Mixed Media Canvas

Today I would like to share another mixed media canvas I created while playing with two different Collage Style Stencils from Rebecca Baer Designs.


I love being on Rebecca's Design Team.  Her collage style stencils are absolutely perfect for the mixed media projects I like to create. These are the stencils I used:


I started by using Mod Podge Matte to randomly apply torn music pages to a 12x12 canvas.


I dry-brushed on top of that using a mix of DecoArt Hansa Yellow and Raw Sienna acrylic paints.  Although the colors are strong, the light application allowed the background music sheets to show through.


I added a tag that had received the same treatment, attaching it along the right edge with adhesive Zots and a strip of bird themed washi tape.


I mixed together Whipped Spackle and Teal acrylic glaze, and laid down a light application through the small sized Entwined Stencil.


You can see here that I also layered the texture on top of the tag.


I also added a light aplication of the texture paste through the small sized Marrakech stencil.


   With the stenciling complete I began to add more layers.


At this point I pulled out my Glimmer Mist and spritzed away!  I added the title with alpha stickers and stamps.  (I stamped "SONG" onto tissue paper and adhered it on top of the canvas and texture with Mod Podge Matte.)


I added the band of burlap, twine, a charm and a pair of these wonderful chipboard birdhouses from Want2Scrap.  I again pulled out the Mod Podge using it this time to add a couple of birds, on the tag and on the canvas.


To really highlight the raised texture I created with the stencils, I applied metallic gold paint with my fingers on top of the designs and along the edge of the canvas.


When I started to play with this canvas the only thing I had in my mind was the quote, "Two birds never sing the same song."  I love working with mixed media because with the right tools - beautiful stencils, paints and sprays - I can create pieces that express my feelings and make my soul happy!
If you are interested in seeing any of my other creative endeavors, I invite you to join me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and my blog: My Time to Play. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today!  Susie

Materials for Mixed Media Bird Song Canvas:

  • Rebecca Baer Designs Entwined Stencil - Small ST-622
  • Rebecca Baer Designs Marrakech Stencil - Small ST-611
  • Faber Castell Whipped Spackle
  • Want2Scrap Birdhouses Chipboard Embellishment Pack
  • DecoArt Paint:  Hansa Yellow, Raw Sienna, Medieval Gold Dazzling Metallic
  • Plaid Mod Podge Matte
  • Plaid Martha Stewart Crafts Decoupage Paper Cut-Outs, Botanical Birds
  • Therm O Web Zots Singles, Medium
  • Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist:  Dragonfly, Partridge in a Pear Tree
  • Luminarte Silks Acrylic Glaze - Teal Zircon
  • Alpha stickers, tiles and stamps
  • Burlap, twine, charm, washi tape
  • 12x12 canvas
  • Manila tag
Back to Top