Susie | Mixed Media Canvas

Today I would like to share a mixed media canvas I created using Rebecca Baer's Urban Jungle stencil.  I used a large size stencil, which measures 11.75" square, to create this 8" square canvas.


I started by applying Whipped Spackle through the part of the canvas that looks like a chain link fence, covering a little more than half of the canvas.  After it dried, I replaced the stencil and added yellow ink.  Next I shifted the stencil and added green ink through the leafy portion on top of the modeling paste.  I used a black ink marker along the leaf and vine edges to very lightly define the greenery.  The flower images were stamped on tissue paper with permanent ink and adhered with mod podge.  I always tear my images from the tissue paper.  If you use scissors to cut them out the edges are far more difficult to blend in with the background.  I applied colored ink on and around the stamped flowers and then added the sentiment with black alpha stickers. Don't let your imagination be limited by the size of the stencil.  A large stencil can be used to create smaller art, just as a small stencil can be used on larger pieces.  Rebecca's collage stencils are beautifully designed and can be used as is, or you can shift the stencil around, overlapping and repeating parts of the design, to create a new, individualized version! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find some time to play today! Susie

  Materials for Garden Canvas:
  • Rebecca Baer Designs Urban Jungle Stencil | Large (ST-1214)
  • Faber Castell Whipped Spackle
  • Wendy Vecchi stamp
  • Tissue paper
  • Mod Podge
  • Inks
  • Moxxie Alpha Stickers
  • Black Permanent Ink Marker
Back to Top