Martha | Embossing Metal Sheets

Hello dear friends, Martha Lucia here to share with you a fun technique that you can get with your stencils. In today's project you will see how you can emboss metal sheets or paper with plastic stencils. Take a look of my card:

  EMBOSSING CON STENCILES 
 For this project I used Stars & Stripes Stencil ST-608 from Rebecca Baer Inc. Creating this card was a very simple process, let me show how to make this:
  1. Cut the base of your card using Island Indigo card stock. The size is 4-1/4"x11" with score in 5-1/2"
  2. Cut a second layer using Whisper White card stock. The size is 4-1/8"x5-3/8".
  3. Cut a piece of metal sheet silver or any other color. The size is 4-1/8"x5-3/8".
  4. Take the plastic stencil of your choice. I am using Stars & Stripes Stencil ST-608 from Rebecca Baer Inc.
  5. Create the next "sandwich" for your big shot: (1) - Open your platform and left in Tab 1, (2) - Put the acrylic or standard cutting pad (use one only for embossing), (3) - Put your stencil side down, (4) - Put your metal side down. If you want the embossing on the silver side you silver side need to be down. (5)- Put the rubber pad. (6) - Put the second acrylic or standard cutting pad.
EMBOSSING CON STENCILES

     6.  Pass this "sandwich" through the big shot.
     7.  Remove the acrylic and the stencil and you will notice how you have a perfect embossing. I recommended to use only acrylics that you have to emboss to avoid imperfections or crash lines over the metal.
EMBOSSING CON STENCILES

     8.  To give different colors to the metal you can use StazOn from Imagine Crafts. And you have two different options. First, use these colors in separated way and you don't need to apply any other product. But if you want to combine the colors you will need to apply a coat base of Glazz On to the metal to mix these colors. In my sample I used the colors of ink in separated way.

EMBOSSING CON STENCILES

     9.  To finalize the decoration I tied three loops of natural baker's twine and stamped a sentiment using Island Indigo Ink, but I tried to keep this simple because I don't want to compete with the amazing embossed background that I get with the Stars & Strips Stencil ST-608.
EMBOSSING CON STENCILES 

 I hope my project inspires you to use your stencils in different ways and experiment different techniques with them. You can replace the metal sheet by card stock in case that you want to emboss paper and not metal. Sometimes you need to add a shim to your big shot to get a deep embossing because it depends of your machine, but this technique can be doing with any brand of machine without causing any damage. If you want to see more ideas using these stencils you can visit my blog Stampartpapel here. See you soon!

Back to Top